Job Type: Global Recruitment
Closing Date: Sep. 11, 2023
Investment Associate – Infrastructure
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
AIIB’s Investment Operations comprises two regional teams, 1 and 2. Each regional team is led by a Vice President (VP) and reporting staff includes client relations specialists, technical specialists, and bankers. Region 1 is responsible for South East Asia, the Pacific Islands, and South Asia (except Pakistan and Afghanistan), while Region 2 covers Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America.
The Infrastructure Investment Department invests in tangible infrastructure in the transport, energy, water and sustainable cities sectors through various financial instruments, including loans, equity investments and guarantees. Focus areas include (i) origination and execution of sovereign-backed financings; (ii) origination and execution of nonsovereign-backed financings, including corporate loans, limited recourse project finance loans, equity bridge loans, mezzanine debt and guarantees; (iii) direct equity investments in corporates and projects and (iv) fixed income investments in project and corporate bonds.
The Infrastructure Investment Department is looking for early-career professionals with sound infrastructure and energy financing experience from a wide range of backgrounds including commercial banks, investment banks, professional/engineering/consulting organizations, multilateral development banks and private equity infrastructure funds to augment its talent pool.
The Associate will support project team leads on deal sourcing, structuring, execution, and client relationship management for AIIB’s pub lic and private sector operations. This will require close inter-departmental cooperation and collaboration. An individual with strong technical expertise, sound coordination skills, adaptable, ready to learn and support the success of financial transactions involving many parties.
- Conduct sectoral, industry and market research in AIIB thematic priority sectors;
- Support early screening of potential opportunities;
- Analyze financial statements; create, review and operate financial models;
- Support project team leads on investment due diligence and execution with emphasis on ensuring that key economic, financial, technical, and legal issues are considered (and mitigants incorporated in the financing structure, termsheet and transaction documentation);
- Co-prepare project documents for internal approval; and
- Support the implementation and monitoring of public sector projects.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with specialization in business administration or finance, engineering or related fields.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience in the field of infrastructure finance gained at commercial, investment banks, infrastructure equity funds, professional/engineering/consulting firm, and/or multilateral development banks.
- Understanding of the general due diligence required for infrastructure finance.
- Understanding of financial products such as debt and equity in corporate/project finance transactions.
- Experience in financial/economic analysis of projects, modelling skills and credit skills.
- Technical expertise in an engineering field such as transport, energy, water or urban sector is not necessary but can be an asset.
- Team player and self motivated.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work across functional teams.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests (such as Arabic, Chinese, French, Turkish and Russian) would be an advantage.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.